Trade Biofuel Testing
The drive to cut greenhouse gas emissions and reduce our current dependence on petroleum products has paved the way for an expansion in biofuels.
In response to the growth of the biofuels market, SGS offers testing services to all aspects of the biofuel supply chain. This includes testing of raw biomass products, process optimization and testing, as well as emissions trading certification including specialist products for the aviation and marine transport sectors.
What are biofuels?
Biofuels are a form of renewable energy derived from a very wide range of biomass-based products. There are currently two main forms: bioethanol and Fatty Acid Methyl Ester (FAME). Bioethanol is produced from the distillation of various sugar-containing materials. FAME is produced by extracting vegetable oil from a variety of plants, such as switchgrass and jatropha, and subsequent esterification. It is then purified to produce a non-toxic, high specification biodegradable fuel.
Currently, both bioethanol and FAME are blended with gasoline and diesel to make biofuels, which can be used in unmodified engines. New fuels for the aviation industry are just being put into use, derived from biomass sources.
Our biofuels testing services
To support the move towards sustainable fuels, European Union (EU) countries have signed up to the Renewable Fuels Directive, which set targets for the introduction of all types of replacement energy sources including biofuels to reduce dependence on petroleum products. Fuels are currently required to meet EN228 and EN590 quality standards, which allow Bioethanol and FAME to be blended into conventional fuels.
- Certification of biofuel components to ASTM D6751and EN 14214
- Certification of gasoline and diesel to EN228 and EN590
- ISO/IEC 17025 accredited laboratories
- Inspection/verification of raw biomass products
- Quantification and characterization of biofuel components in mineral fuels (in accordance with E5/E10/E15/ E85 for ethanol in standard gasoline and B5/B10 for biofuel in diesel)
- Microbiological analysis
- Process optimization and by-product testing
- Additive dosing and process treatments to improve product quality
- Flow improvers, biocides and antioxidants
- Ammonia and chemical additives used in exhaust emission systems
- Technical and consultancy services for logistics, distribution and supply chain issues
- Trade inspection services on bulk fuels
Already a world leader in the provision of testing services to the oil and gas industry, SGS has developed technical expertise in the field of biofuels. We offer clients a comprehensive range of customizable testing services through our global network of state-of-the-art laboratory facilities, supporting every stage of the biofuels supply chain.
Find out more about biofuels testing services from SGS.